The Strangest Library Find | A Book Review

Wednesday, September 03, 2014



























Today's post is definitely something different but I like to add in a few lifestyle bits here and there between all the beauty reviews, yeah? I'm doing my first ever book review!

I feel like I have to put a disclaimer here first, though. When I say something is 'strange', I don't necessarily mean it's bad. And anyway, this book that I'm about to talk about isn't really that strange at all. It is a poetry book. I've seen pictures of this circulating around the mystical world of Tumblr but I never expected to see this book in person, let alone read it. It is called Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav. 

Can I start by saying I really like the cover design and graphics? I've always had a thing of this type of art, very A Series Of Unfortunate Events-esque. I adore the little girl that prances around the page before each part and because I like painting with water colour, it really inspires me.


The real magic is the little quotes, though. They aren't exactly the conventional poetry? I don't know, I haven't read much poetry. But it's nothing like I've ever read. Every poem is made of two or three short stanzas (is this what they're called? *desperately tries to recall my literature classes from 2 years ago*) and I feel that every bit is like a little chocolate from a chocolate box. Although they're mostly about love, you just don't know what the sub-theme of next poem is about. Happiness? Sadness? Tragedy? It is actually what prevents me from being bored from reading about love over and over again. 

The poems are short and seemingly abrupt, yet, in my opinion, Lang Leav has captured the brutality and loneliness of heartbreak beautifully. Occasionally, there would be a little short story and that's a joy to read as well.


I like how most of these poems are quite relatable. I've always sort of had a messy love life and I have experienced quite a number of things Lang Leav has written about. Granted, the poems might seem a little 'thirteen-year-old-pining-for-a-guy-she-can-never-have' to some but I think many people can connect with at least two or three of these on a personal level. Each one is unique but yet fits so many different types of situations in life and it's fun and an intriguing experience to be able to read your feelings, you know what I mean?



I know I'm pretty bad at describing things and you probably didn't really understand anything I've said so far about the book but what I'm trying to say is, this book is so real. It doesn't sugar-coat anything; just gives it to you right smack in the face. Feelings. 

Of course, poetry is not for everyone and not all poetry is for everybody but I didn't expect to like this so much, and I would recommend it to someone who enjoys reading different genres or a romantic. This would also be a good book for someone who is just looking for someone or something to be able to just understand. 


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This book sounds lovely, and I love the cover art!x


    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I! Thanks for dropping by! x

    ReplyDelete

Awards

 photo 3bb223e3-a517-48d0-8eac-37599538deda_zpsaad25928.jpg